About This Initiative
Strong Future Las Vegas youth employment program provides workforce readiness training and employment to youth in Las Vegas.
Our workforce readiness training offers a seven-session course taught by the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension and includes resume writing, time management, interview techniques, ethics, and professionalism. Our adult advisors work closely with youth and their worksite supervisors to provide feedback and guidance, ensuring a meaningful and productive work experience.
Working for the summer helps youth explore varied career opportunities, enhance essential workplace skills, and establish valuable relationships with the business community for future job opportunities.
Strong Future Las Vegas youth employment program continually runs job readiness training, including financial literacy, communication and conflict management skills, and provides a range of comprehensive supports based on youth need. After completing this training, youth are matched with an after-school job and are supported by an adult advisor to encourage commitment to both work and school responsibilities.
Additional Partnership Opportunities
The Mayor’s Fund is seeking community partners who can enhance the offerings and experience of the Youth Employment Program. Current requests include:
- Hire a youth to work at your organization
- Sponsor youth to work at another organization
- Sponsor lifeguard certification classes
- Sponsor additional adult advisors
- Application opens at strongfuturelv.gov
- Employer recruitment begins
- Partnership meeting, next steps, checklist and employer toolkit
- Youth applications open
March – April
- Job Fair
- Employer orientation
- Youth and parent program orientation
- Employers begin interviewing candidates
- Drug test clearance and background checks
- Job sites assigned
June – July
- Employment commences
- Youth completes work-based learning path with supervisor or success coach
- Strong Future LV staff provides support to youth and employers
- Strong Future LV staff performs employee evaluations
- Employer performs employee evaluation
- Employer provides feedback to Strong Future LV staff